SLP Podcast Ep 44 – Executive Functioning & Student Success – Tera Sumpter MA, CCC-SLP
On this episode, we had the opportunity to speak with a very special guest about a crucial part of cognitive development—executive functioning. Tera Sumpter MA, CCC-SLP, shares wisdom from her SLP career about the importance of executive functioning, discussing executive functioning skills development in different age groups, assessing executive functioning skills, writing appropriate executive functioning goals, and more.
Subscribe to the Podcast!
This show is made possible by Med Travelers. If you’re interested in exploring a career in allied travel, visit: https://www.medtravelers.com/getting-started/become-an-allied-traveler/ to learn more about the nationwide opportunities they have to offer!
- 0:00 Introduction to Tera and her career background
- 17:09 Tera’s private practice and its specialties
- 19:38 An overview of executive functioning INSTA
- 26:23 Executive functioning development in different age groups
- 41:21 Executive functioning in boys and girls
- 47:23 Assessing executive functioning skills
- 55:11 Writing appropriate goals for executive functioning development
- 1:00:41 Examples of reflexive questioning
- 1:09:42 Compensatory strategies for executive functioning
- 1:12:49 Additional resources to learn more about executive functioning
About Tera Sumpter MA, CCC-SLP
Tera Sumpter, M.A., CCC-SLP, is the founder of Seeds of Learning, LLC, which specializes in executive functioning, reading, and other pediatric learning disabilities. She also has experience as a medical speech-language pathologist in both inpatient and outpatient hospital settings. A former adjunct instructor of Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech and Hearing Mechanism in the Cleveland State University's Speech and Hearing Program, Tera currently presents her integrative cognitive processing and executive functioning model internationally to speech-language pathologists, occupational therapists, psychologists, audiologists, inpatient and outpatient clinical therapists, school districts, and parent groups.
Tera is the author of The Seeds of Learning: A Cognitive Processing Model for Speech, Language, Literacy, and Executive Functioning. You can check out her book on Amazon!
Where to Find Tera Online:
Find Us On
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/slpfulldisclosure/
Apple Podcasts – http://bit.ly/slpfulldisclosureapple
Spotify – http://bit.ly/slpfulldisclosurespotify
About the Show
Producer – Jonathan Cary
Assistant Producer – Katie Schrauben
Show Notes – Sam MacKay
Music & Editing – Aidan Dykes
Powered by Med Travelers