Ep. 73 - Switching to Skilled Nursing: The Ins & Outs of Different Settings - Erin Romanski MA CCC-SLP
In this episode, we welcome special guest, Erin Romanski MA, CCC-SLP, to discuss switching SLP settings and working in skilled nursing. We discuss an SLP’s day in the life of working at a skilled nursing facility, co-treating with PTs and OTs, tips for working in a skilled nursing facility as an SLP, and more!
Subscribe to the Podcast!
This show is made possible by Med Travelers. If you’re interested in exploring a career in allied travel, visit: https://www.medtravelers.com/getting-started/become-an-allied-traveler/ to learn more about the nationwide opportunities they have to offer!
- (0:00) Introduction
- (2:15) Erin Romanski’s Professional Background
- (4:30) Why Erin became interested in traveling
- (9:15) What areas was Erin must confident when starting as an SLP
- (13:20) Utilizing mentors
- (16:50) An SLP’s Day in the Life Working at a Skilled Nursing Facility
- (20:15) Skilled Nursing Facility Patient Population
- (28:36) Co-treating with PTs and OTs.
- (30:30) Tips for Working in a Skilled Nursing Facility as a Speech Pathologist
- (39:32) Advice for Speech Pathologists Wanting to Work in a Skilled Nursing Facility
- (44:43) Lightning Question Round!
- (49:20) Do you fear getting older?
About Erin Romanski MA, CCC-SLP
Erin grew up in Cleveland, Ohio—the only girl in a family with four children. She studied communication sciences and disorders as an undergrad at the University of Cincinnati and then earned an MA in speech-language pathology from Eastern Michigan University. Between undergrad and graduate school, Erin obtained her nursing assistant license working as an STNA during grad school, prior to getting a job as an SLP.
Erin has spent her whole career in SNFs across four states, though she’s lost count of the number of facilities. Since moving to Minnesota, she’s found my inner country girl—picking up gardening, canning, and chopping wood. Erin also enjoys biking, camping, kayaking, and reading when she’s not keeping her puppy out of trouble.
Follow Erin on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/irishila21/
About the Show
Producer - Jonathan Cary
Assistant Producers – Katie Schrauben & Sam MacKay
Powered by Med Travelers