Ep. 67 - Language Processing, Curriculum, and the Why and How - Dr. Karen Dudek-Brannan Ed.D., M.S., CCC-SLP/L
In this episode, we had the opportunity to speak with a special guest, Dr. Karen Dudek-Brannan Ed.D., M.S., CCC-SLP/L, all about language processing, curriculum, and targeting language goals as an SLP. We discuss the difference between listening and understanding, curriculums vs. frameworks for language processing, the “why and how” when targeting language goals, and more.
Subscribe to the Podcast!
This show is made possible by Med Travelers. If you’re interested in exploring a career in allied travel, visit: https://www.medtravelers.com/getting-started/become-an-allied-traveler/ to learn more about the nationwide opportunities they have to offer!
- (0:00) Introduction Shenanigans
- (3:58) About Dr. Karen Dudek-Brannan Ed.D., M.S., CCC-SLP/L
- (10:05) What is Language Processing
- (11:18) The Difference Between Listening & Understanding
- (16:15) How Does Language Processing Affect School Performance
- (19:31) Curriculums vs Frameworks for Language Processing
- (27:55) Customizing Your Language Processing Framework to Individual Students
- (33:58) The Why and How When Targeting Language Goals
- (40:39) Effectively Working with Vocabulary
- (46:50) Courses & Services Dr. Karen Offers
About Dr. Karen Dudek-Brannan Ed.D., M.S., CCC-SLP/L
Dr. Karen Dudek-Brannan mentors pediatric SLPs who want to create a bigger impact on their students in language therapy. She's been an SLP since 2004 and spent 14 years in the school systems. After feeling frustrated with not having a solid system for language therapy, she decided to make language and literacy her area of expertise during her doctoral work. She's the creator of Language Therapy Advanced Foundations, an online program designed to help SLPs create an evidence-based system for language therapy. She's also the host of the Are they 18 Yet? ® podcast, where she shares information for SLPs, parents, and other professionals who want to help K-12 kids thrive.
Language Therapy Webinar: https://5components.drkarenspeech.com/s/bDxjYV
Sentence Structure Teaching Guide: https://drkarenspeech.lpages.co/ultimate-guide-to-sentence-structure-for-slps-2/
Find Us On
Website - https://www.medtravelers.com/slpfulldisclosure/
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/slpfulldisclosure/
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/slpfulldisclosure/
Apple Podcasts – http://bit.ly/slpfulldisclosureapple
Spotify – http://bit.ly/slpfulldisclosurespotify
About the Show
Producer - Jonathan Cary
Assistant Producers – Katie Schrauben & Sam MacKay
Show Notes – Sam MacKay
Powered by Med Travelers