I Need (Travel) Therapy Ep 38 – Working on a Military Base as a Travel Therapist – Jackie McMillian MS, CCC-SLP
On this episode, we had the unique opportunity to speak with an SLP who is currently working with students on a military base. Our special guest, Jackie McMillian MS, CCC-SLP, shared her background from growing up in a military family and provided an overview of her life working on a military base—including a snapshot of base life, speech therapy on base vs. in a civilian school, adjusting to base life as a civilian, and more.
Subscribe to the Podcast!
RSS Feed: https://feeds.simplecast.com/0Z0aoA1q
- 0:42 Introduction to Jackie and her background
- 2:34 Life growing up in a military family
- 8:14 Jackie’s introduction into becoming an SLP
- 9:45 How Jackie came to work on a military base
- 16:30 A snapshot of the base community
- 19:16 Jackie’s unique experiences from working on a base
- 23:09 Speech therapy on base vs. in a civilian school
- 25:38 The challenges of working with parents between deployments
- 27:26 Overcoming change when working with autistic children
- 28:47 Adjusting to base life as a civilian
- 30:02 Collaborating with parents and caregivers for hybrid-learning therapy
- 32:12 Tips for therapists thinking about working on a military base
About Jackie McMillian MS, CCC-SLP
Jackie is originally from Moss Point, Mississippi, and grew up in a military family—her parents are retired Army, and her brother is retired from the Air Force. She has a bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education and a master’s in Speech-Language Pathology. Jackie loves the lifestyle that comes with being a travel therapist—enjoying meeting new people and trying new foods, wherever she goes.
About the Show
Producer - Jonathan Cary
Assistant Producer – Katie Schrauben
Show Notes – Sam MacKay
Music & Editing - Aidan Dykes
Powered by Med Travelers